Monday, July 1, 2013

Best Rice Pudding Ever!

Do you love rice pudding? Or better yet, do you HATE rice pudding? The this recipe is for you! Let me tell you, I never liked rice pudding. When I found out it was the hubs favorite desserts besides apple pie, I almost cried. It was a disgrace toCrème brûlée and all other amazing desserts! Well I took this class called Practical Homemaking (i know, i can here all you feminists cringing, but it is one of the finniest classes I have taken in my college career!) One portion of the class was cooking and we had a day were we talked about food storage foods. Back story: about 1 year ago I bought 25lb bag of rice from WinCo trying to save money and we still have it! (oh, that wasn't nearly as long of a story as I thought it would be. ha!) So I try to cook a lot of rice.

Like I said, the hubs loves rice pudding and for the last two years of our marriage the only way he got it was if he combined leftover rice, milk, sugar, and cinnamon...um gross. He basically was eating a sweet rice cereal, it doesn't sound as bad as it looked! Trust me, ok? So when we made this in my class, I tried it (for the hubs and because I have this thing where I always try the foods I make. I refuse to dislike something without trying. I know it’s ironic because I wouldn't try the hubs nasty rice cereal...thank you). So I tried it...and I LOVED IT!! So I had to make it for the hubs and I swear when I said the words "Hey, how about I make some rice pudding tonight?" He literally has this look that was somewhere between crying and unbelievable excitement...it was adorable! So after that huge story...here is the recipe for the amazing rice pudding!







RICE PUDDING


¾ c. uncooked white rice
2 c. milk, divided
1/3 c. white sugar
¼ t. salt
1 egg, beaten
2/3 c. raisins
1 T. butter
½ t. vanilla


In a medium saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

In another saucepan, combine 1 ½ cups cooked rice, 1 ½ cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining ½ cup milk, beaten egg and raisins. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm.


HAPPY EATING!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment