Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Dinners in Under 30 Minutes!

So we are all busy right? Who has time to spend 4 hours on dinner? No one, that's who. Right now I'm in my last semester of college and it has been crazy busy. The first thing to always go for us is dinner. We start eating out or having boxed macaroni and cheese. Then, when either our wallet or waistline starts to suffer (usually both!) we reevaluate our eating habits.

Here is what I usually do: I go through my pantry and fridge and see what we have. I figure out what I can make from these things and what I need to make it quick and healthy. Then, I go shopping! Usually I make a list of meals and stick it on my fridge. Let me tell you, this takes time! So in order to make life easier I am going to do it for you! Lucky!

Over the next few days and weeks I will be posting meals that take 30 minutes or less to make that are healthy and pretty cheap to make!! Today is the first day!

 Our first quick, cheap, and amazingly delicious meal is......STIR FRY!




Stir Fry A LA quick and easy 
(can you tell I made that name up?) 


What you need:

a bag of frozen stir fry veggies

try something like this, I always stock up on these when I go to the grocery store especially if they are on sale (ps. they are like 2 bucks)
 

White rice
1 or 2 cups is plenty for two people and you will have some for left overs!

Frozen chicken or shrimp or whatever kind of protein you would like. This is really up to you--make it your own!

Teriyaki sauce or Soy Sauce of your preference

Salt and Pepper


Directions:

1. Defrost your chicken and cut in up into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Cook rice according to the directions on the bag or in a rice cooker.
2. Saute meat in a large wok or frying pan when chicken starts to turn white add your teriyaki or soy sauce to the pan. Coat the chicken well. Let cook until chicken has browned and cooked all the way through.
3. Next, add your bag of frozen veggies and add more sauce. Cover and seam with the water all ready on your veggies. DON'T DEFROST YOUR VEGGIES.  You want the ice that has frozen over on the veggies. This will help them steam correctly. If you defrosted your veggies don't panic, just add a 1/4 cup of water to the pan. Let cook until veggies are soft.
4. Serve over rice. I love to serve this with some sweet chili sauce.


THAT'S IT!! I'm serious! One thing I love about this recipe is that you can really tweek it to what you like and to what your family will eat. This recipe yields about enough for four people with each getting about an 8 oz portion. Try this! It literally takes 20 minutes. The longest part is the rice so get that going first!


Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment